Thursday, June 4, 2009

BEING A MOM

I had a post I was going to do about things that I love in my house, primitives and antiques, things that make my life easier, but this morning as I checked my inbox, I came across a prayer request email about a baby I had been following off and on since her birth. This was very disturbing to me as I read the news article link that was attached. This was something I would have never thought about this mother. She had sacrificed so much for this child and now here was this news story with a picture of her arrest.

You see, as a mother we give everything, and sometimes I think we forgot how to live and do things for ourself. I think we somehow lose ourselves in our children and forget about doing things for us. I know this to be true. I sit here now in a wrinkled t-shirt, no makeup, cut-off sweatpants with paint on them and holes in them and hair, that all I can say is I went to bed with it wet because I was exhausted. Now normally this is not my attire but with rushing around in the morning to get the baby fed and get him to my mother so she can watch him while I work, you just put on whatever. I am 1 of the lucky ones as far as only having 1 small child and not having to get dressed for a job out of my house. My 12-year-old can feed and cloth himself, but that is about the extent. He could do more if he wanted to. :) Those who have several small children, well I don't know how they do it.

What makes a mother decide to hurt her child? I don't think I will ever understand this. You love this child so much and your life becomes theirs. I sit and cry upon reading blogs or news reports of sick children or children who have been abused. There was the last report of the newborn baby in Orlando left in a box beside the road. HOW could someone do this.

As friends and family of these moms who have many children plus having a sick baby, PLEASE reach out to them. Give them some help. Offer to babysit for them. I think about Andrea Yates when I type this. I know there were probably underlying problems but somewhere something bad happened, she snapped. Susan Smith, what happened there.

It is hard being a mom, working, housework, homework, changing diapers, feeding, baths, and the list goes on. On top of all of this, most of us have to try to be wives too. All of this can be very draining on you physically and mentally, but at the end of the day when I lay my baby in his bed, I look at how precious he is, how God has blessed me and how tomorrow we will start our very busy and hectic day again. We need to try to take 1 day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails